Roy Fitzgerald is one of the founding members of Mrachek Law, and is a shareholder practicing out of the Firm’s West Palm Beach office since 1997. Roy has been Board Certified in Business Litigation Law by the Florida Bar and in 2012 was inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial lawyers. Roy focuses his practice in the areas of Business and Corporate Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Civil Appeals, Business Torts, and Breaches of Contract.
Admitted To Practice
- New York
Federal Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- Business Litigation, The Florida Bar, Board of Legal Specialization and Education 1997-Present
- Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 2009-Present
- Civil Pretrial Practice Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 2012-Present
- J.D., State University of New York, Buffalo
- Ph.D., (Philosophy), State University of New York, Buffalo
- M.A., State University of New York, Buffalo
- B.A., magna cum laude, State University of New York, Buffalo
Honors, Awards & Recognition
- Florida Trend Legal Elite Business Law, 2016
- SuperLawyer (Business Litigation), Florida Super Lawyers, 2015
- Florida’s Best Lawyers 2015 (Listed In: Commercial Litigation)
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers, 2013-present
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated, 1998-Present
- Florida Trend's Legal Elite, Civil Trial, 2013-present
- Best Lawyers In America, Commercial Litigation, 2008-Present
- Florida Superlawyers, Business Litigation, 2005-Present
- Milton Plesur Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award, 1990
- University Special Merit Scholarship, State University of New York, Buffalo 1984-1986
- The Lord Baldy Fellowship in the Study of Law and Social Policy, State University of New York, Buffalo,1983-1984
- Eagle Scout, 1976
Professional & Community Involvement
- Member, Florida Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions - Contracts and Business Cases, Appointed by Florida Supreme Court, 2008-2015
- Member, Litigation Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Member, Florida Bar Association
- Florida SuperLawyers Recognizes Mrachek Law Attorneys
- Roy Fitzgerald Admitted to American College of Trial Lawyers
- Sending Motion Meets “Meeting and Conferring” Requirement Under Federal Local Rules
- Mrachek Law Attorney Roy Fitzgerald obtains $20 Million Foreclosure Judgment
- Mrachek Law Attorneys Win Multi-Million Dollar Judgment for Client
- Fitzgerald Certified as Advocate
- Florida SuperLawyers Recognizes Mrachek Law Attorneys
Published Works & Presentations
Chapters In Books
- Evidentiary Trial Issues, Florida Evidence Manual (9th edition, 2012; 10th edition, 2014 [forthcoming]) Lexis Publishing.
- Select Problems in Evidence. Business Litigation in Florida (3rd edition, 1998; 4th edition 2001; 5th edition 2007; 6th edition 2010; 7th edition 2012; 8th edition 2014) Lexis Publishing.
- Proposals for Settlement. Business Litigation in Florida (3rd edition, 1998; 4th edition 2001; 5th edition 2007; 6th edition 2010; 7th edition 2012; 8th edition 2014) Lexis Publishing.
- Donna Eng, Roy E. Fitzgerald III, and Gregory S. Weiss, Online Defamation: Do Hyperlinks Constitute Republication for Florida Defamation and Trade Libel Claims? Fla. B.J., Vol. 90, No. 5.
- "Reasonable and Realistic" Assessments: Nominal Offers of Judgement in Florida after Eagleman v. Eagleman. Roy E. Fitzgerald and Patricia A. Leonard. The Florida Bar Journal LXXI, No 5 79-81. 1997.
- "Pay Attention to The Man Behind the Curtain": Fraud and Justifiable Reliance. Roy E. Fitzgerald and David P. Ackerman. The Quarterly Report of The Florida Bar Business Law Section, VIII, No. 2: 1; 4. 1995.
- Should Florida Adopt a Qualified Privilege for Critical Self Analyses? The Florida Bar Journal LXV, No. 10: 32-35. 1991.
- Florida Standard Jury Instructions - Contracts and Business Cases. Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions - Contract and Business Cases (Committee Member). 2013.
- Pomfret v. Atkinson, 53 So.3d 413, 2011 WL 611823 (Fla. 4th DCA 2011), rev. pending, Case No. SC11-665 (Fla. 2011)
- Conrad v. Young, 10 So. 3d 1154 (Fla. 4th DCA 2009)
- Barash v. Kates, 585 F.Supp.2d 1368 (S.D.Fla. 2008)
- James Kehoe, on behalf of himself and all others similarly situated, Plaintiff, v. Fidelity Federal Bank and Trust, Defendant, 2004 WL 1659617 (S.D.Fla. Jun 14, 2004) (NO. 03-80593-CIV-HURLEY), rev'd and remanded, Kehoe v. Fidelity Federal Bank & Trust, 421 F.3d 1209 (11th Cir. 2006), reh'g and reh'g en banc denied, 165 Fed.Appx. 854 (11th Cir. 2005), cert. denied, Fidelity Federal Bank & Trust v. Kehoe, 547 U.S. 1051, 126 S.Ct. 1612, 164 L.Ed.2d 353 (U.S. Mar 27, 2006)(memorandum opinion)
- Graham v. Peter K. Yeskel 1996 Irrevocable Trust, 928 So. 2d 371 (Fla. 4th DCA 2006)
- Boswell v. Boswell, 902 So. 2d 844 (Fla. 4th DCA 2005)
- Cochrane v. Nwandu, 855 So. 2d 1276 (Fla. 3d DCA 2003)
- Barash v. Siler, 2003 WL 21697419 (2d Cir. 2003)
- PGA Property Owners Ass’n, Inc. v. Golf Villas II, 813 So. 2d 256 (Fla. 4th DCA 2002)
- Rolo v. City Investing Co. Liquidating Trust, 155 F. 3d 644 (3D CIR. (N.J.), August 31, 1998)
- Busby v. I.R.S., 1997 WL 364507, 79 A.F.T.R.2d 97-1493 (S.D.Fla. 1997)
- South Lake Worth Inlet Dist. v. Ocean Ridge, 633 So. 2d 79 (Fla. 4th DCA 1994)
- T.J.X. Companies, Inc. v. Capital Commercial Properties, Inc., 626 So.2d 1113 (Fla. 4th DCA 1993)
- Rogers & Ford Const. Corp. v. Carlandia Corp., 626 So. 2d 1350 (Fla. 1993 NO. 80,788)
- Carlandia Corp. v. Rogers and Ford Const. Corp., 605 So. 2d 1014 (Fla. 4th DCA 1992)
- Ripps v. Chemical Bank, Inc., 605 So. 2d 105 (Fla. 3d DCA 1992)
- Pierce v. J.W. Charles-Bush Securities, Inc., 603 So. 2d 625 (Fla. 4th DCA 1992)
- Southern Bell Tel. and Tel. Co. v. Beard, 597 So. 2d 873 (Fla. 1st DCA 1992)
- Shareholder, Gunster, Yoakley, & Stewart, P.A